Does your USB drive or external hard drive fail to show up on Windows PC since the USB port is not working? Follow the four methods within the page to fix 'USB port not working' error on Windows 10/8/7, and apply powerful hard drive data recovery software to recover data from a corrupted USB drive if necessary.
- Restart your computer. Sometimes you get lucky, and the easiest solution ends up fixing the biggest.
- Connect USB 3.0 SuperSpeed devices to a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed HUB, USB 2.0 Hi-Speed devices to a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed hub, and so on. If the device doesn’t have a power cord and is plugged into another USB device that doesn’t have a power cord: Try plugging the device directly into your computer’s USB port or into a USB device that does have a.
- Restart the Computer. Sometimes, you are just very lucky enough to fix this USB socket not working.
- 👉 👉 Leave a tip: 👉 CHIPS & COMPONENTS: › http://bit.ly.
To fix USB Port Not Working on Windows 10/8/7 problem, the basic way is to restart your computer and change the USB cable. If these don't work, there still are some advanced solutions to troubleshoot.
Check the Hardware. Before you delve into the software labyrinth to find the solution, check the.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. USB port not working fixes|
- Fix 'USB port not working' error with Universal Serial BUS controller...Full steps
- Fix 'USB port not working' issue with Windows Troubleshooter...Full steps
|Fix 2. Restore data from USB||After repairing the not working USB port in Windows PC, you can reuse it now. If the storage devices are still inaccessible and you cannot read any saved data, you need to use a hard drive recovery...Full steps|
USB port stops working after removing or inserting a USB drive
'Hi there, do you know how to make a USB, an external hard drive or an SD card etc. portable storage devices to be detectable or show up in PC when the USB port is not working?
I tried to connect my device to other USB cables on my PC, but still, nothing showed up. If you have any ideas on how to repair a not working USB port and make storage devices detectable on Windows 10, please let me know. Thanks.'
A USB port allows USB devices such as USB flash drive, pen drive, external hard drive or SD card etc devices to be connected to the computer or other digital devices and guarantees the transfer of digital data through USB cables. When a USB port fails to work or stops working, Windows PCs or laptops won't be able to read or detect these external storage devices. So how do you make digital storage devices detectable and make USB port work again in Windows 10/8/7?
Relax and here in the below, you'll find reliable methods to effectively repair not working USB ports and make external storage devices detectable again without losing any data in two steps.
Quickly fix the 'USB port not working' error
When your USB flash drive, pen drive, SD card or external hard drive fails to show up on your PC due to not working USB port, you may try the two quick fixes below to get your problem solved:
1. Restart the PC and reconnect your devices to the USB port
Try to restart your PC and reconnect your portable devices to the PC again, then check out whether your devices can be read or not.
2. Change USB cable
If your USB or SD card etc devices are still undetectable by your PC, don't worry. Next, try to reconnect your devices to the PC with another new USB cable. Then you'll see whether problem is solved or not.
If not, don't worry and just follow the two steps below to get 'USB port not working' issue fixed in Windows 10/8/7 now.
Fix 'USB port not working' without losing data
By following the two parts below, you will get the USB port not working issue fixed and repair the USB port to work again:
Part 1. Fix 'USB port not working' issue on Windows PC
Here you have two methods to repair and fix USB drive not working issue in Windows 10/8/7 PC and you may follow either one to get repair USB port which has stopped working now:
Method 1. Fix 'USB port not working' error with Universal Serial BUS controller
1. Right-click on Windows logo > Select Device Manager.
2. Expand 'Universal SerialBUS controllers' > Find the device with a yellow exclamation mark.
3. Right-click on it and select 'Update Driver Software...' > Choose 'Search automatically for updated driver software'.
4. If there is no new update, right-click and select Uninstall > OK.
5. Go to the Action tab in the Device Manager window > Select Scan for hardware changes > Then the USB port will appear.
After this, reconnect your portable devices to your PC and there your USB or SD card etc devices will show up on your PC now.
If it still not working, relax and follow Method 2 to get your issue solved.
Method 2. Fix 'USB port not working' issue with Windows Troubleshooter
1. Type: troubleshoot in the search bar and click Troubleshooting.
2. Go to 'Hardware and Sound' > 'Hardware and Devices' > Click on Advanced and check Apply repairs automatically.
3. Click Next and let the program check and fix existing problems in your drive > Click Apply this fix and click Next.
4. Click Enable, close Troubleshooter and restart your PC to keep all changes.
After finishing the process, you should be able to use your USB drive or external hard drive etc portable devices to save or transfer data to your PC again.
Part 2. Restore data from USB etc devices after fixing a not working USB port
After repairing the not working USB port in Windows PC, you can now try to connect your USB or SD card etc portable storage devices to your PC to transfer data.
If the storage devices are still inaccessible and you cannot read any saved data, don't worry. Use powerful hard drive data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to find your data within 3 simple steps.
Just download this software for free and follow these steps below to restore lost data from portable USB or other devices on Windows 10/8/7 now:
Step 1. Run USB data recovery software.
Usb Ports On Mac Monitor Not Working
Connect the USB flash drive to your computer and launch EaseUS USB data recovery software on your PC. Select your USB drive which marks as a removable disk, and click 'Scan' to start finding your lost files.
Step 2. Scan all lost files from USB.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard will thoroughly scan your USB flash drive and find all your lost data on it. After the scanning process, use the Filter feature to filter a specific file type. You can check and preview found USB files in this program.
Step 3. Restore all lost files from USB.
Usb Port For Mac Not Working Windows 10
A double-click will allow you to preview the file results. Choose the target files and click 'Recover' to save them to a secure location on your PC or other external storage devices.
After this, you can reformat the portable storage devices into NTFS or FAT32 so to make it reusable for storing or transferring data again.
Some Usb Ports Stopped Working
SMC, or the System Management Controller, is a system on a chip within Intel-based Macs that plays a role in controlling several hardware-related operations of Mac computers. It controls many different functions within the laptop, including certain things that affect USB port functionality.
Resetting the SMC should only be attempted after Steps 1 and 2.
For MacBook's with a removable battery (early 2009 and older)
For MacBook's with a non-removable battery (mid 2009 and newer)
- Press the icon in top left of screen
- Click Shutdown
- Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer
- Remove the battery
- Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
- Release the power button
- Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter
- Press the power button to turn on the computer
- Press the icon in top left of screen
- Click Shutdown
- Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
- On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Press the power button to turn on the Mac laptop.