How to unzip files on mac computers. Unzipping a file on a mac computer is user-friendly and intuitive. To unzip files on a mac, simply follow the steps below: Double click the zipped file. The file will automatically be decompressed by Archive Utility into the same folder the compressed file is in. Follow these steps to open zip files on Mac: Click the Unzip button. From the drop down menu, choose to unzip your files to this Mac, iCloud Drive, Dropbox or Google Drive. A 'Finder style' window will open. You can browse to the folder where you want the files saved. Choose to unzip the Entire Zip file.
Files you download from the Internet are often compressed or zipped so that they take up less space and arrive much faster than files that haven’t been compressed. You can easily identify compressed files by their extensions, such as .zip (a common standard used in OS X and Windows) and .sit. Before you can use these files, you must learn how to unzip files on mac computers for proper access – luckily the process isn’t that complicated!
How to unzip files on mac computers
Unzipping a file on a mac computer is user-friendly and intuitive. To unzip files on a mac, simply follow the steps below:
- Double click the zipped file.
- The file will automatically be decompressed by Archive Utility into the same folder the compressed file is in.
- Access the extracted files by clicking the appropriate icons.
Alternatively, if the method above does not work, you can right-click on the .zip package, and select Open With > Archive Utility (default).
Apple and third party software
Apple used to include a program called StuffIt Expander to decompress zipped files, but doesn’t now that OS X lets you unzip files (but not .sit files). However, StuffIt from SmithMicro Software still comes in handy for opening other types of compressed files, notably the .sit or .sitx compressed types. Go to www.stuffit-expander.com or www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html to download a free version of the software or to splurge for the Deluxe version. In addition to compressing files, StuffIt Deluxe lets you encrypt and back up files.
Meanwhile, you can archive or create your own .zip files through OS X, which is useful if you’re e-mailing a number of meaty files to a friend. Right-click (or Ctrl-click) files you want to compress inside Finder and choose Compress Filename. The newly compressed files carry the .zip extension. The archive is created in the same location as the original file and is named originalfilename.zip. You can also choose File→Compress. If you compress a lot of files at once, the archive takes the name Archive.zip.
By default, compressed files are opened with the Archive Utility. It appears in the Dock (in Leopard) while the files are being unsqueezed, unless you choose to open them with Stuffit Expander or some other program.
How to zip files on a mac
On the flip side, you can also archive or create your own .zip files through OS X, which is useful if you’re e-mailing a number of meaty files to a client or friend. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to easily zip files on a mac:
- Right-click or Ctrl-click the multiple files you want to compress (whether on the desktop or inside the Finder).
- Select Compress Filename from the pop-up menu.
- The files are now compressed in a .zip extension and the archive is created in the same location as the original file name, except with the .zip appended to its name.
Mac Zip Files For Pc Windows 10
On some Apple computers, you can also compress a file by simply choosing File→Compress. If you compress a lot of files at once, the archive takes the name Archive.zip.
Have you received an email with a ZIP file attachment, and you didn’t know what to do with it? Just like regular digital folders, you can easily open a ZIP file on almost any computer or operating system. But, unlike regular folders, you need more than just a simple double-click to use the files inside it. Here’s how to open a ZIP file on a Windows PC, Mac, iPhone, and Android devices.
What is a ZIP File?
A ZIP file is a type of file format that contains compressed filesand folders for the purpose of archiving, storage, and/or transmission. It istreated as one file when being transferred or transmitted from one digitalstorage space to another. These files have the file extension “.zip” atthe end of their name.
Most operating systems have built-in software that can create and open ZIP files. But there is also third-party software you can use, such as WinZip, 7zip, and WinRAR, that can also do the same.
How to Open a ZIP File on Windows 10
If you’re using a PC at home, you can easily open a ZIP file with thebuilt-in Windows Compressed Folder.To open a ZIP file using this Windows 10 feature, simply follow the stepsbelow:
- Locate the ZIP file you want to open. If you downloaded the ZIP file from the internet or as an email attachment, you might find it in the Downloads folder in your System Drive.
- Right-click on the ZIP file and select “Extract All…” Once you select “Extract All,” you will get a new pop-up menu.
- In the pop-up menu, select a location to extract the files. If you want your files to be extracted in another location, click “Browse” and select your destination in the pop-up window.
- Once you’ve selected a destination folder, click “OK.”
Note: Make sure to check “Show extracted files when complete” so you can immediately find the unzipped files after it is opened and extracted.
- Finally, click “Extract” in the pop-up menu. The built-in software will start extracting the files from inside the ZIP folder.
Once the extraction is complete, a window will pop-up, displayingall the extracted files from the ZIP file.
How to Open ZIP Files on Mac?
If you have a Mac, you can still easily unzip orextract files from a ZIP file using Mac’s Archive Utility tool. Here’s how toopen a ZIP file using the Archive Utility tool in Mac:
- Locate the ZIP file you want to open. If you’re not sure where you stored the ZIP file after downloading it, check the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the ZIP file. This will automatically begin the file extraction, which may take a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the number and size of the files being extracted.
When the extraction is complete, a window will pop up to displaythe extracted files or folders. If no window opens up after the extraction iscomplete, simply locate the extracted folder to display the extractedfiles.
How to Open a ZIP File on Android Devices
Zip File For Apple Mac
For Android phones, you will needto download and install a zip file opener, such as the Filesapp from Google Play Store, to extract files from a ZIP file. The application comespre-installed on many Android phones. To check if you already have the app, tapthe Apps button, which looks like a square of four or nine dots on your homescreen.
- Open the Files app. If you’re going through the initial setup, you may have to give the app access to photos, media, and files in your device. Click Allow to do this.
- Then click Browse at the bottom of your screen.
- Locate the ZIP file you want to extract. If you’ve downloaded it as an attachment from an email, you may find it in the “Download” folder.
- Tap the file you want to open and then tap Extract. This will open a list of the files in the ZIP folder.
- Finally, tap Done. You can access any of the files by tapping “All” at the top of your screen and then clicking the downward arrow next to the right of a file. Then tap “Open with” and choose an application.
How to Open Zip Files on an iPhone
Much like with Mac computers, iPhones and other Apple devices havea default feature that allows you to see your ZIP files. However, to actuallyextract workable files from a ZIP file on your mobile device, you need toinstall an archiving application such as iZip from the App Store. Much like the Files app for Android, iZip isa free application so no need to worry about fees or subscription costs.
- Download, install, and open the iZip app.
- Then tap Files at the top of your screen. This will only work after you have downloaded the ZIP file to your iPhone.
- Locate the ZIP file you want to extract files from. If you’ve downloaded the file from a website or an email, check for the ZIP file inside your Files app.
Note: If you do not see your ZIP file in Files, go back to the ZIP file and select the “send to” button. Then tap “More” and select “Copy to iZip.”
- Tap the ZIP file you want to extract. Then, tap and hold for a second or two to open a pop-up menu.
- Finally, tap OK in the pop-up. This will automatically unzip (or extract) all the files in the ZIP folder. Depending on the size, this may take a few seconds to a few minutes.
Once you have extracted all the filesand folders, you can view them through the iZip app. If you want to open a filewith a certain app, tap the “Open In” button at the bottom of your screen.
Now that you know how to open a ZIP file on Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android, check out our article on how to zip a file or create zip files.
Create Zip Files On Mac
Updated on December 6, 2019
Was this article helpful?
How To Zip A File On Mac