Gaming Fitness Headphones Home Theater Laptops. That said, I completely understand the sticker shock people get when comparing a Mac computer to a PC. So instead of focusing on the price itself. Sep 04, 2017 It is a well known fact that Windows still dominates the market share in the PC sector. One of the reasons is because it is the first choice for the gaming community - both developers and users. PC vs Mac is a quiz like test has been made simple and short to easely decide which is better for you. However the test result is without any guarantees. If you prefer more detailed reading we present you some of the sources from our research: Wisegeek.com, Lifehacker.com and thetechgame.com.
Apple’s Mac and Windows PC are currently the two leading platforms for most of our day to day computing needs. Hence, this article, providing you with Mac vs PC comparison, in order to help you make an informed decision about whether to buy a Mac or PC.
Mac vs PC Comparison – Whether to Buy Mac Or PC
Once upon a time there was a clear and well defined divide or distinction between PC and Mac users. Those who needed a computer bought a Windows PC and those who had money bought a MacBook – It was that simple!
However, currently the imaginary line between Windows PC and Mac is fading, mostly due to Windows computers trying to compete with Macs in the looks department and becoming as expensive as Macs.
Hence, the question “Should you Buy a Mac or PC” and search for terms like Mac vs PC, Mac Vs Windows PC comparison and similar terms is showing an increasing trend and becoming more relevant to consumers looking to buy computers.
You will find below a listing of both Advantages and Disadvantages of Macs and PCs, which should help you in deciding whether to buy a Mac or a Windows powered PC.
Pc Or Mac College
Advantages of Macs
1. The biggest advantage of Macs is that they are well designed, sleek and visually appealing. While Windows computers are trying to match Macs in the looks department, they are ending up costing the same as Macs.
2. Macs come preloaded with almost all the software required to prepare documents (Pages), run spreadsheets (Numbers), create presentations (Keynote) and basic Photo Editing and Video Production software.
In comparison, Windows computers these days are mostly being shipped with trial versions of Microsoft Office.
3. In general, Macs have acquired the reputation of being less complicated, easy to use and trouble free compared to Windows Computers.
4. Software updates on Macs are consistent, effortless and trouble free. In comparison, software updates on Windows computers end up
generating discussions and heightened activity on internet forums
5. Going by past data, chances of being hit by viruses and malware on Macs are less compared to PCs. This could be due to a variety of reasons, ranging from Windows PCs having a larger user base to Windows Software being more familiar and appealing to attackers.
6. All the pre-installed software programs on Macs come directly from Apple and appear to be well tested and optimized to work well on Macs. In comparison, Windows computers suffer from bloatware due to pre-installed software coming from multiple sources – Microsoft, Manufacturer and associated companies.
7. Apple products rank high in terms of quality and customer satisfaction. When you buy a Mac, there is absolutely no doubt that you are getting a product of the highest quality.
It is difficult for Windows Computers to match this level of quality and customer satisfaction due to multiple manufacturers trying to sell Windows computers in multiple configurations.
8. Macs work better and flawlessly with other Apple products. This means that you are better off going for a Mac in case you use an iPhone.
9. The customer support at Apple is consistent, transparent and better compared to Windows Computers. If anything happens to your Mac, you can head straight to the nearest Apple Store in your location and expect support both for hardware and software related problems.
Such level of support is not possible in Windows computers due to software coming from Microsoft and hardware being assembled by a variety of PC manufacturers.
10. Whether you like it or not, Macs appear cooler/trendier and people are willing to pay more for Apple products.
Advantages of Windows PC
1. The biggest advantage of a Windows PC is its availability at multiple price points. Since, Windows PCs come from different manufacturers in multiple configurations, there is always a Windows Computer that can match your budget.
In comparison, Macs are available in limited models and at fixed price points, which you may or may not be able to afford.
2. The second biggest advantage of Windows PC is its productivity software. Most Windows computers come preloaded with Microsoft Office which includes two of the most popular productivity software programs in the world – Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
3. In case you are a gamer, you have no option but to go for a Windows PC. Macs simply do not have the Processing power, RAM and high end graphics cards required to play PC games.
4. Windows computers are available in multiple configurations and allow you to choose from various types of Processors, RAM, Storage, Ports, Displays and other options.
5. In general, Windows Computers offer superior hardware at competitive price points. In comparison, Mac users appear to be paying a higher cost for comparatively lower level of hardware.
However, it needs to be mentioned that almost every component on an Apple product is optimized for better performance, tweaked to consume less power and generate less heat.
6. Accessories for Windows Computers are easy to find and available at competitive prices compared to Macs. This makes Windows computers cheaper to operate and run compared to Macs.
7. It is easy to upgrade, reconfigure and refurbish Windows computers. This aspect of Windows computers appeals to tech savvy users who enjoy such activities.
8. In general, more Software programs are available for Windows PC compared to Macs.
9. Windows Computers have better backwards compatibility compared to Macs. For example, it is not uncommon to find 5 to 7 year old Windows computers running the latest version of Windows 10 without any problem.
10. Windows community and user base is larger compared to Macs. This practically means that it is easy to get support and advice for software and hardware related issues for Windows computers.
Disadvantages of Mac
1. The biggest disadvantage of Macs is that they are expensive compared to PCs. However, as mentioned above, Windows Computers are getting expensive and the gap between MacBook Air and a comparable Windows Laptop is not that much.
2. The second major disadvantage of Macs is that most of the work related software like Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD, Timberline, Primavera and Accounting software is designed for Windows computers and not for Macs.
While Macs have their own version of Excel (Numbers) and Microsoft Word (Pages), these programs are no match for the Power and Versatility of Microsoft Excel and the practical functionality of Microsoft Word program.
While you can buy Microsoft Office made for Macs, it is not uncommon to come across users reporting missing features, problems and overall lack of power while using Microsoft Excel on Macs.
3. Macs are clearly not built for playing PC Games. Even the most advanced MacBook Pro does not have the processing power, RAM and the Graphics to play PC Games.
4. Using a Mac is fundamentally different than using a Windows computer. Those coming from Windows PC background to Mac will require patience to get used to the way Macs work.
In the first few weeks you may often feel like going back to Windows PC. However, once you get used to Macs you should be able to work as effortlessly on a Mac as you used to on a Windows PC.
Disadvantages Of Windows PC
1. Windows computers are clearly getting more expensive and most likely driving budget customers to consider using a Mac Mini or even MacBook Air which are now available at tempting price points.
2. Windows computers come pre-loaded with bloatware from manufacturers, which makes them slow and buggy. While those with technical abilities can easily get rid of this bloatware, average computer users are not really equipped to deal with this issue.
3. Due to their large user base, Windows Computers are considered as being primary candidates for attack by hackers and computer viruses. However, it is not difficult to minimize this risk by keeping the software on your computer updated and installing a good antivirus program on your computer.
4. Although the situation is improving, software updates on Windows Computers are still far from being trouble free.
Should You Buy Mac or Windows PC
As far as consumers are concerned, the decision to buy should be based on which platform really suits you better, while taking into consideration the purpose for which you are buying a computer and the budget allocated for your purchase.
For example, Windows PC is a better option in case your work requires the use of Microsoft Excel and other productivity or work related Software Programs. The same holds true, in case you are buying a computer for general and recreational use and your idea of fun is to play high intensity PC Games.
When it comes to budget, College students surviving on borrowed money are clearly better off buying a cheaper Windows PC or a Chromebook, instead of piling on more debt by going for an expensive MacBook Pro.
However, if you are working part time and having a MacBook makes you feel better (does it !!?..), make sure that you go for MacBook Pro and promise yourself that you will do better at both studies and work!
Image source: Apple, Microsoft
Which of the two biggest OS platforms is best for gaming, Windows or Mac? This is a big question with a pretty solid answer for once. Windows laptops are better gaming laptops than Macs, hands down.
Macs are good for certain things, like coding or photo/video editing, but they are simply not good for games and the gaming world reflects this. You will find thousands of titles available for Windows but only a handful available for Mac. Why?
Because the majority of laptop users are Windows users and thus the majority of laptop gamers are Windows users. So, naturally, game devs develop their games for Windows first over Mac.
Windows also has the most laptops capable of withstanding today’s demanding games so it makes sense that there would be more games available for Windows than Mac.
Things to Consider
The first thing you should consider when deciding between a Windows laptop or a Mac is the types of games you’ll be playing.
You’ll want a laptop that can run the games you want to play so always check the recommended specs for the games you are wanting to play and figure out what hardware you want in your laptop based on that.
There are a lot of really demanding games coming out for PC; ones that require huge processors and memory and graphics cards that make even Minecraft sparkle. If those are the games you want to play, then your laptop specs need to match that.
Currently, there are thousands more games available for Windows than Mac, and none (to this writer’s knowledge) that are available for Mac only and not Windows.
If you do decide on a Mac, do some research into what games are available for you and make sure they are games you would be willing to play for some time.
..Windows gaming laptops range in price from $500 to well over $2000 so there should be one in there to fit your budget and gaming style…
The next thing to consider is your budget. Windows gaming laptops range in price from $500 to well over $2000 so there should be one in there to fit your budget and gaming style.
If you’re wanting to play some of the more graphically demanding games on the market, you’ll need to be willing to pay for that super-charged graphics card and lightspeed RAM and processor.
Windows models that keep up with today’s games can rack up anywhere from $1500-$3000 but it isn’t always necessary to have top of the line everything.
My MSI was top of the line in 2017 and cost about $1300 but still runs the most graphically demanding games on the market with no issue.
Pro Tip: This is why you should always check your recommended specs before purchasing a game because they’re often far lower than the top of the line hardware that is available. This way you don’t have to worry about having the newest GeForce 10bajillion graphics card or Core i100 processor to run your favorite games.
Macs on the other hand are insanely expensive (even lower end models) compared to the hardware that comes inside them. Even the most gaming compatible models costing well over $2000.
The last thing to consider is performance whilst gaming. Obviously, you’re going to want your laptop to perform well when you’re gaming; that’s what it’s for.
Be sure to check the recommended specs for the games you want to play against the laptop that you are thinking about purchasing.
- More options
- More games
- More power
- More games becoming available
- Some models are game capable
What Is Better For Gaming Mac Or Pc
- Too expensive
- Not many games available
Windows still dominates the market despite Macs growing popularity. As such, game producers look to develop games for Windows first before ever looking to other platforms.
That is not to say that you can’t game on a Mac but you will have a wider selection of well-developed games on Windows.
The biggest reason why Windows is still the best platform to game on is simply because there is such a large user base that game developers would be silly to develop for Mac first over Windows; they would be cutting off their largest body of customers.
Windows laptops can be built for the sole purpose of gaming which is not the case with a Mac laptop. You can get insanely powerful gaming rigs with Windows that still cost less than the best Mac.
With that gaming rig, you could have access to all of today’s biggest PC titles at release and be able to play them without your laptop turning into a nuclear reactor.
With a Mac, there’s no guarantee that a specific title will be released for your platform and you could be waiting months or even years before it is released.
..customize your Windows gaming laptop to have whatever processor, graphics card, RAM, and storage that you want to fit your gaming style…
Windows laptops have the customizability that Macs simply do not. You can customize your Windows gaming laptop to have whatever processor, graphics card, RAM, and storage that you want to fit your gaming style.
With Mac, you have a limited number of options to choose from (with little to no customizability) and an even smaller number of options that will perform well when gaming.
Windows is the heavyweight champion, here, and probably always will be (unless Apple comes out with a gaming Mac) and it all comes down to the range of gaming options and the price. You have a massive variety of laptops to choose from for your gaming experience.
You can go with a low end $500 gaming laptop and still have a range of thousands of games to play or you can go with a high end gaming laptop and, with the money you save from not getting a Mac, you still have money left over to play some of today’s top games.
Macs are built for performance in daily work but lack the important components for gaming. For example, the less expensive Macbook options rely on integrated Intel graphics cards which are not ideal for gaming.
The more expensive Macbook options appear to have the ability to run games (and they can and do) but they are more expensive than an iMac desktop and still more expensive than most Windows gaming laptops.
The cost of a Mac compared to the hardware is not balanced at all. The hardware in a Macbook can barely run even low end games and still costs over $1000. For the same price, you could get a high end Windows laptop with almost all of today’s top performing hardware.
Macs are just not built for gaming. They lack the proper hardware to run games safely. Because they’re built to be ultraportable, they don’t have the fan power to keep your CPU and GPU cool during your gaming sessions and this can be catastrophic to your already expensive Mac laptop.
However, despite their low end specs, there are many popular games that you can play on a Mac. Many AAA titles have been released for both Windows and Mac including: League of Legends, Counterstrike, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, Fortnite, and many more.
It’s not that you can’t play games on a Mac, it’s just that your performance and the variety of games available to you pale in comparison to Windows laptops.
Better For Gaming Pc Or Mac Desktop
If you are a casual gamer who needs a Mac for other things outside gaming (e.g. work or school) then a Mac is not a bad option, especially if you already have one or are used to macOS and Apple products.
But if you are a hardcore gamer or like to stay up to date with new titles, there is no better option than a Windows laptop. Customize it to fit your gaming style and it will still probably cost less than a Mac and be far more cost effective.